- Admits he is a sinner 1 John 1:8. Do you try to justify your sins or do you confess them and repent?
- Lives a life of obedience by keeping God’s commandments more often than he breaks them 1 John 2:3, 3:6, 5:2. It is a good sign if you are quick to ask God for forgiveness when you sin. But if you can sin without feeling guilty then you are in a bad place.
- Does not harbor hate for his brother but displays forgiveness, love, and compassion 1 John 2:9, 11, 3:15, 4:16, 4:20. Are you harboring ill feelings for someone else even when they have truly mistreated you?
- Does not love the world or the things of the world 1 John 2:15. Not that we can’t do activities we enjoy but that we do not love the world system that is controlled by Satan.
- Proclaims Jesus Christ is the Son of God 1 John 4:15 who came in the flesh 1 John 4:2-3. Are you willing to defend the deity and humanity of Christ?
- Has the hope and longing for the return of the Lord 1 John 3:2-3. Are you so wrapped up in what is going on in your life that you would rather Him not return right now? Do you not even believe He is coming back?
- Loves the brethren and desires to serve and help them 1 John 3:14, 17. Do you feel compassion and want to help other believers when you see them in want and distress?
- Loves being with and fellowshipping with other believers 1 John 1:7, 5:1-2. Are you more comfortable around worldly people or fellow Christians?
- Rejects false teaching 1 John 2:22-23, 4:5 and listens to the teaching of Christ and His apostles 1 John 4:6.
- Continues to abide in Christ 1 John 2:27-28.
Wednesday, April 4, 2012
What is a True Convert?
The letter of First John is a short writing but full of many characteristics we can look for in our lives that indicate whether or not we are truly saved. A true convert: